Health and wellbeing
Our focus is to sustain a culture of wellness by giving employees the resources they need to stay healthy. Because more than 70 percent of healthcare costs are related to chronic conditions, we devote considerable attention to these areas.
Recently AstraZeneca launched a new wellness program for all US-based employees. The goal of the program is to create a healthier workforce by offering prevention activities that positively affect our employees’ health and well-being, and ultimately lower healthcare costs both for employees and the business. The wellness strategy is focused on the three main areas that correlate directly to our most chronic risk factors: weight management, emotional management and physical activity.
Employees are encouraged to “Know Your Numbers,” “Assess Your Risks,” “Take Action” and “Motivate Each Other.” By participating in the wellness program, employees understand their health risks and the actions they can take to improve their own health and wellbeing. This new wellness program is just another way employees can take control of their healthcare choices. It also demonstrates AstraZeneca’s commitment to the future of our employees and the business.
In addition to the launch of the new wellness program, AstraZeneca offers several additional ways for employees to stay healthy, including:
- Yearly health screenings and risk assessments
- ‘Shape Up’, an online health and fitness community where employees can set goals, track progress and join team-based fitness challenges
- Weight Watchers at a 50 percent discounted rate
- Onsite wellness coaches
- Guided meditation
- Healthy cooking classes
- Discounted fitness club memberships
- Online programs in healthy eating, stress management and physical activity through the Mayo Clinic
- Telephone-based smoking cessation counseling
- American Heart Association’s Start! Fit Friendly Company Platinum Award
- CEO Cancer Gold Standard company